1Where can I buy Nicotinell?
Nicotinell is only available from pharmacies. If your local pharmacy does not stock the product please speak to the pharmacist who should be able to order the product in for you.
2Where can I get more information about quitting smoking?
3Can I take other medicines with Nicotinell gums or patches?
Before you start to use Nicotinell gums or patches, consult your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking any other medicines, including medicines that you buy without a prescription.
1What should I do before I start to use Nicotinell gums?
Talk to your doctor and ask for his/her advice before using Nicotinell gum if:
- you have had a recent heart attack or stroke
- you have angina (chest pain) that is not well controlled or is getting worse
- you have severe arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat)
- you have any type of heart disease, including angina
- you have had a stroke at any time in the past
- you have high blood pressure or any circulation disorder
- you have kidney or liver problems
- you have a stomach ulcer or persistent stomach upset
- you have hyperthyroidism (a disorder of the thyroid gland)
- you have diabetes, as you should monitor your blood sugar levels more often than usual when starting Nicotinell chewing gum, you may find your insulin or other medication requirements alter
- you have phaeochromocytoma (a tumour of the adrenal gland)
- you have an inability to tolerate fructose (as the gums contain sorbitol, which is a source of fructose)
- you are pregnant or breastfeeding
- you are aged 12 to 17 years
2How does Nicotinell Gum work?
Nicotinell nicotine gum is a crispy coated, soft chewing gum with an unexpectedly bold taste in mint or fruit flavour. As you chew, it releases nicotine to help ease your physical cravings and reduce your desire to smoke.
3How long do I have to chew the gum for?
To get maximum effectiveness from Nicotinell gum it's critical you follow a "chew and park" method for at least 30 minutes. Chewing the gum for only a couple of minutes without parking it, doesn't allow the gum to help provide relief from cravings. Here are four easy steps to remember when chewing:
- Chew slowly until the taste becomes strong
- "Park" your chewing gum between your gum and cheek
- Chew again when the taste has faded and when the nicotine taste gets stronger park it again
- Repeat the process for up to 30 minutes.
1When shouldn't I use Nicotinell patches?
Do not use Nicotinell Patch if:
- you are under 12 years old
- you are a non-smoker
- you have a generalised skin disorder such as psoriasis or dermatitis
- you have an allergy to nicotine or to any component of the patch
- the expiry date printed on the carton or sachet has passed
- the packaging is torn or shows signs of tampering